Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 9

Today’s meditation was about creating balance, and how what we surround ourselves with affects our internal wellbeing. I recently purged 80% of my possessions - things I could do without, things I did not love and things that were just cluttering up my space. I now try to lead the life of a semi-minimalist and I collect memories, not things. Now the things I have in my life I use, love or need. It will be a year this June without “my stuff” and I can honestly say I don’t miss one item of it. Instead I feel renewed and have a better sense of balance with my surroundings and my life is now so easy to manage and take care of.  I even have a room dedicated to yoga and meditation where I have it decorated with beautiful chakra and ganesha prints, cozy pillows and meditation mats, a Himalayan salt lamp, a few rock crystals and stones, and a hibiscus hand carved Buddha. The room is very Zen and it is my little physical, mental and spiritual oasis - a place I can go when I need to centre myself and bring things back to focus after a busy day.

Deepak says that in many healing traditions the perfect medicine for us is often right outside our front door - every day nature offers us its healing properties. With that in mind we can begin to explore ways to create balance in our lives using simple things already available in our environments to bring us feelings of comfort and ease. If you think about it we are already attracted to particular experiences that make us happy. We are all unique and we respond to different environmental offerings: scents, spices, music, paintings which can bring peace and comfort to us throughout our day.


Living and working in such a nurturing environment nourishes the brain which in turn takes care of us so that we can better take care of our bodies. A positive outer environment plays an important role in a positive lifestyle, allowing us to make choices that are natural. This fosters the best inner environment for the brain, which processes every experience we have, and must function well for the mind to make its best intentions known. It is important that we be good to ourselves and create an environment that brings us peace, joy and closer to perfect health. It is not selfish to want a happy harmonious life as it is the true foundation for optimal, mental, physical and spiritual wellbeing.

Centering Thought:
My outer world reflects my inner world.

Sanskrit mantra:
Sat Chit Ananda. - Existence, Consciousness, Bliss

Mindful Moment:
Consider those things that you enjoy—the scents, sights, sounds—that bring calm to your mind and spirit, and warm your heart. With just a little bit of thought and effort, we can create environments that support our success and enable us to feel positive and alive. In your home and work space,  make small, simple changes that will allow your environment to enhance your life. Remind yourself that your outer world is a reflection of your inner world and invite those elements into your environment that truly make you feel good inside.

Interesting Links:


"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe." —Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment