Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 10

Happy first day of spring! PEI obviously did not get the memo - I woke up this morning to a winter whiteout of snow and the office is delayed until 1030am. Normally I don’t get a chance to write my blog until before I go to bed, so today I had a bit more time. Today’s meditation was focussed on breathing for balance. When I took my dog out for a walk this morning I tried to make a conscious effort to really focus on my breathing and reflect on the way I felt during today’s meditation. When I got back from my little walk in the peaceful snow storm, I felt so energized and refreshed. Just from that little bit of conscious breathing I seemed to have so much more mental clarity and the pressing thoughts that were on my mind seemed to just magically melt away. I do a lot of conscious breathing during yoga and meditation, but I had no idea the world of difference it could make doing it just in our day-to-day activities – being conscious of our breath. Something Oprah said at the beginning of the meditation really impacted me, she said this present moment is the only moment you can be certain of and right here right now all is well.  


All living things are enlivened by energy called prana - a force that pulses through each of us and gives us life. In sanskrit, prana simply means breath.  And while prana energizes us in the form of breath, any form of energy - light, heat and electricity is also considered prana. It catalyzes all activity, it is consciousness, the connection the true self. Cultivating prana in our lives can bring us greater energy and mental clarity. Practicing meditation, enjoying our favourite activities, and spending time in nature, enlivens our prana and makes us feel whole. There are also easy conscious breathing techniques known as pranayama that will bring greater vigour into our lives and improve our mental and physical states. Just a few minutes of conscious breathing especially when we are feeling stressed or anxious can completely shift our mood and perspective and bring us a sense of calm. The more we practice connecting with our breath, the more spontaneous we will find that we move from our current state of awareness into one that allows us a more expanded understanding of ourselves and the world around us.

Centering Thought:
I am one with the breath of life.

Sanskrit mantra:
So hum. - I am.

Mindful Moment:
Most of our breathing is regulated automatically, whereas conscious breathing can completely shift our perception. When we close our eyes and simply witness the breath we invite peace and balance into our lives, bathing our brains and every cell of our bodies in energy and vitality. Spend some time practicing conscious breathing. Get comfortable and close your eyes. Begin to imagine the breath as it flows in and out of the body. After a few rounds of inhalations and exhalations, count to five on the inhale, hold the breath for five, and then exhale for a count of five. Do this several times for just a few minutes. After you've completed the exercise, rest for a minute or two, and then return to activity.

Interesting links:


"Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor." —Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment