Saturday, March 23, 2013

Day 13

Today’s meditation was about moving for balance and that exercise is good for our bodies and our minds. I couldn’t agree more, sometimes when I am feeling overwhelmed from a busy day, just that little 10 minute walk home clears my mind. I walk my dog three times a day and go to yoga and guided meditation classes. I recently completed a 30 day Moksha challenge. I used to spend hours sweating at the gym but I have come to realize what works for my body. I love to be active and still take time for golfing, boxing, hockey, soccer and other sports when time allows. I try to have fun with it, and to me walking or running on a treadmill gets boring, I like to do exercise that I enjoy. Oprah said at the beginning of the meditation that our body is the vehicle for our beautiful souls and moving our bodies brings balance into our lives.

Yoga originated in India about 5 thousand years ago - it is a science, a philosophy and a way of life. Yoga means union - the union of mind, body and spirit and the connection between individual and universal consciousness. Yoga includes movement, meditation and an overall perspective on the world that emphasizes love, generosity, honesty and compassion. In the west however, the most commonly recognized way yoga is practiced is through a series of poses or asanas. Asana in Sanskrit means seat, and the steady practice of asanas not only enables us to develop balance, strength and flexibility but it ultimately offers a good “seat” for the soul within the vehicle of the human body. From this prime position, we are then better poised for spiritual growth.


Beyond asana practice, today’s yoga can encompass any activity that helps bring that sense of peace and union into our lives: dancing, swimming, cycling and walking in nature. All can be moving meditations which allow us to experience the richness of the outer world, strengthen our cardiovascular systems, release endorphins and clear our minds. The ultimate purpose of yoga, in all its forms is to enliven awareness and expand our understanding of the true self. Regular practice offers us opportunities to experience every part of ourselves, with compassion and awareness. When all aspects of our humanity – physical, intellectual and spiritual work in union with one another, our lives become balanced vital and whole.

Centering Thought:
"I am flexible, powerful, and balanced."

Sanskrit mantra:
Om Varunam Namah. My life is in harmony with cosmic law.

Mindful Moment:
Moving our bodies in ways that help us feel peaceful and connected with everything around us—whether it’s a brisk walk, a focused run, or an hour of yoga—can shift our awareness. Exercise can help us feel open and alive, rebalance our perspective, improve our physiology, and help us experience all aspects of ourselves, in harmony. Create a schedule so that you engage in the exercise you enjoy the most on a regular basis. Commit to keeping with your schedule and journal how you feel each time you practice that activity.

Interesting Links:

Consciousness is only possible through change; change is only possible through movement.” - Aldous Huxley

No comments:

Post a Comment