Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 14

Today’s meditation focussed on the balance in silence. Silence is such a virtue as it not only refers to being silent in your surrounding environment but it also means silencing your mind. I have found since I started yoga and meditation I have become much better at this, concentrating on my breath and nothing else – pure consciousness. When thoughts enter my mind, I let them in and then I give them a little push to the side. It takes some effort, but it is worth it. I have gone to guided meditation classes on my lunch break when my days have been chaotic and my mind racing. Those hectic days when I clearly felt I did not have time in my day for a mental break were the times I was most grateful to go spend a half hour in silence. It was like hitting the reset button, a mini vacation for my mind. When I went back to work I felt refreshed and the looming deadlines and piles of work were much more manageable – silence can really put things into perspective.


The sustained practice of mediation is a staple of a balanced lifestyle. If you practice yoga you likely know how wonderful you feel throughout the day after your practice - balanced in your body and in harmony with everyone and everything around you. Asana practice is the perfect preparation for mediation, as the mind is calm and ready to enter even greater stillness. Through mediation we have a variety of experiences, but one that offers the greater benefit is that we find ourselves in that place between our thoughts called “the gap” or pure consciousness. In the gap we can plant the seeds of our most heartfelt intentions and take from it the stillness of the true self back into our activity. We do all of this without effort simply by closing our eyes and repeating the mantra silently.

Centering Thought:
I intend to take steps each day toward perfect health.

Sanskrit mantra:
Om Ritam Namah. - My actions and desires are supported by cosmic intelligence.

Mindful Moment:
In this stillness, we come to understand that we are indeed intrinsically part of the universe, connected with everyone and everything around us, and magnificently powerful beings who can manifest anything we desire. Commit to writing down your intentions. Before each meditation, review your list, and then release your intentions into the womb of creation. Then, watch how what you desire manifests in your life.

Interesting Links:


 "The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between." —Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 

No comments:

Post a Comment